Starting in version 1.1.110, Return of the Obra Dinn makes backup saves periodically during gameplay, in the hope of recovering progress if the game crashes or if something goes wrong with cloud saving.
Backup Location & Files
Backup saves are stored in the "Backup" subdirectory of the normal savefile location.
The "P1" refers to the 1st save profile. The 2nd save profile will have "P2" instead, and the 3rd "P3". The game makes backup copies of the current savefile at several points:
The most recent savefile, copied here after successfully being written to the normal savefile location.
A copy of the savefile made immediately after any fate in the book is edited.
A copy of the savefile made immediately after correctly setting three fates, made at the noted date and time.
Restoring a Backup Savefile
Backup savefiles must be restored manually using Windows Explorer or the macOS Finder. In the instructions below, replace "P1" with whichever profile id you're playing on (P1, P2, or P3).
- Navigate to the savefile location.
- Make a copy of "ObraDinnSave-P1.txt" and store it somewhere safe.
- Navigate to the Backup directory.
- Make a copy of all the files in the Backup directory and store them somewhere safe. In case something goes wrong again, the game may overwrite these backup files and you'll want the originals to try again.
- Sort the backup directory by date and find the latest backup savefile (Recent, EditFate, or CorrectFates) for your profile.
- Copy the latest backup savefile to a new file in the Backup directory and rename it "ObraDinnSave-P1.txt".
- Move your newly-copied file to the normal savefile location (one directory up), overwriting the original file.
- Run the game again and select your profile to load in the new savefile.
If this process fails, try again with a different original backup savefile.