I shipped the game with an unfortunate bug related to staircase movement. The result is that you may teleport below the stairs at various points, two of which are quite bad:
- Within a flashback, if you're on the stairs when the scene transitions to the book.
- When returning from a flashback after "pulling" a corpse, if you were standing on the stairs when entering the flashback.
I've fixed this issue in version 1.0.89. Please make sure you have the latest version of the game.
Stuck Outside the Ship
Some players have been teleported or spawned outside the ship at some points and unable to get back in. If this occurs while inside a flashback, try exiting to the title screen and continuing the game from there. If you're not in a flashback, and if you're walking around outside the ship at the same level as the top deck, there's a trick to getting back in:
- Walk around to the starboard side near the ladder. At the top is a circular knob that the hand will reach for when you get close.
- Get close enough to grab the knob, then press the action button (SPACE or left mouse button.) This will teleport you onto the top deck and climb down the ladder.
- Climb back up onto the ship and continue as usual.
I'm currently tracking down this issue so if you have any information about how you got into this state, please let me know through a support request.
If you have the latest version and you're still stuck, send a support request and attach your savefile. I'll manually repair the save and send the file back to you.